Thursday 19 June 2014

A little bit of self care.

As a Mum and a person suffering from a chronic pain illness, finding time to just have "me time" can be difficult.

Last month I booked a hair appointment, booked my Mum in to babysit and eagerly awaited the day to come around

That day was today! I had a few hours to myself, doing something much needed and well deserved for myself. It was bliss.

(Awful photo but this is my "before" hair.)

As you can see from the photo, it was fairly long (I've only been growing it for 24 years!) but the ends were totally frazzled. My hairdresser actually told me I had about an inch, maybe two, of healthy hair at the roots. This was not a shock to me. No matter what I try, I just cannot get my hair into good condition. (Any suggestions welcome!)

(My "after" hair!)

The blonde isn't nearly as blonde as I would've liked but the hairdresser was so nervous about bleaching my hair due to it's condition- to the point that she was trying to talk me out of it (unsuccessfully!) I didn't have my normal hairdresser. He knows my hair, he knows that it's not in great condition but he knows that he can still bleach it and it's completely fine afterwards. His words to my hairdresser today "I can bleach the shit out of her hair and for some reason it's totally fine" but Melanie was still nervous and washed it off much sooner than Daniel would've.

Regardless, I really like the colour. It really blends in nicely with the two shades of brown that I chose and it looks less harsh than some of the ombré hair styles I've seen. It's like a caramel-y dark blonde and I'm quite pleased with how well the bleach actually took in the short length of time she left the bleach on for!

She also cut much more off than I'd initially wanted but it really needed to come off. I really do need it all chopping off so it can grow fresh and healthy but that's just never going to happen. 

I left the hairdressers happy. This is a first for me. After a hair appointment, I'm usually indifferent at best. I'm that person that never likes their new hair cut but always thanks the hairdresser with a smile and a tip, while walking out almost in tears haha. Not today though! My hair feels healthier than it has done in over 2 years (that's how long it's been since I last went to a salon!) and the best part is that my fringe looks like it's part of the style and blends in nicely! Instead of looking scruffy as it grows out.

All in all I'm really, really pleased. I've even booked myself another appointment for the end of June for a trim and to have some more blonde put in! 

Today was definitely well needed. I feel like such a different person. Firstly I picked up my brand new glasses this morning (I can finally see again, YAY!) and then I had my hair done. 

Sometimes a few hours alone doing something purely for yourself is just what your soul needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment